Friday, November 23, 2012

The Last Hoorah

I believe in Last Hoorahs. I believe in saying goodbye to something you'll miss, or even something you just think you'll miss, through celebration and enjoyment.

I've been Last Hoorahing for the last month I've been on low-dose prednisone leading up to the surgery. I wanted to go easy on myself emotionally during this time and part of how I've done that is through food. I've been less restrictive and enjoying some classic comfort foods, like gluten free pizza, cheese on everything, glasses of wine that would normally make me sniffle, and even a couple of slices of regular gluten pizza (for the first time in over 3 years!) I believe I've remained fairly balanced in this time, still incorporating daily bone broths into my meals, continuing to take probiotics and enzymes, things of the sorts, and I've experienced minimal repercussions in my state of health because of it, maybe. But there is no doubt that I have consumed many SCD/GAPS illegal foods. And it was my plan to do so until surgery was done and medications were finished and I could now focus my emotional energy back at the roots again.

This weekend I'll be finishing up the antibiotics and the prednisone. I've got some gluten-free pizza in the freezer, and a celebrate-my-partner's-new-job date for brunch tomorrow, where I will undoubtedly enjoy a couple of corn pancakes and strawberry rhubarb jam with my poached eggs, hollandaise, potato cakes, and ham. And then it will be back to chicken soup with pureed carrots. And you know, that sounds damned good to me too.

No comments:

Post a Comment